Braised Beef & Ale Pot Pies
What you will need
6 Denby Mini Casseroles
1kg good quality Stewing or Braising Steak, cubed
2tbsp plain flour
1 large onion, peeled & chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
330ml dark ale
300ml hot beef stock
1 bouquet garni
2 bay leaves
1tbsp tomato puree
2tsp dark brown soft sugar
2tsp cornflour mixed with a little cold water
6 x discs puff pastry
How to do it
- 1. Preheat oven to gas 4/180C
- 2. Heat one tbsp of oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for a couple of minutes to soften. Remove and place in an overproof casserole dish.
- 3. Coat the cubes of beef in flour and season well. Add another tbsp of oil to the frying pan and fry the beef in batches over a fairly high heat for 4-5 minutes until well browned. Transfer to the casserole dish.
- 4. Deglaze the frying pan by adding the ale and let it bubble for a couple of minutes.
- 5. Pour this over the beef, onions and garlic in the casserole then add the hot stock, bouquet garni, bay leaves, tomato puree and brown sugar.
- 6. Cover with a lid and braise in the oven for 2-2.5 hours until the beef is tender. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Thicken the sauce if needed with the cornflour.
- 7. Ladle carefully into 6 Denby mini casseroles, put the lids on and keep warm.
- 8. Turn the oven temperature up to gas 6/200C.
- 9. Place the pastry discs onto a non-stick baking tray, glaze with the egg wash and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until risen and golden.
- 10. Remove the lids from the mini casseroles, replace with a pastry disc and serve immediately.