Lemon & Thyme Roast Chicken
What you will need
1 Large Free Range Chicken 1.5-2kg
For the Stuffing:
1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
2 Cloves of crushed Garlic
100g Pancetta (finely chopped)
250g Sausage meat
2 tbsp Thyme (finely chopped)
2 tbsp Parsley (finely chopped)
Zest and juice of 2 Lemons
2x 25g Butter
How to do it
- Pre Heat oven to 190°C Gas 5.
- Wash the cavity of the chicken and pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Now saut? the onions, garlic & pancetta in half of the butter until the pancetta begins to crisp, then take off the heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl add the sausage meat, herbs, lemon zest & eggs and mix well. Now add the onions to the bowl with a generous amount of salt & pepper and again mix well. Add the breadcrumbs and the stuffing is ready.
- Feed the stuffing into the chicken making sure it is tightly packed, and put it onto a roasting tray.
- Melt the remaining butter and mix in the lemon juice. Brush it all over the skin of the chicken and scatter a few sprigs of fresh thyme on top.
- Now roast the chicken for 1.5 hours or until the juices run clear when you cut into the skin between the leg & the breast.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.