Moroccan Citrus Cake
What you will need
1x 20cm (8inch) Square cake tin
200g Caster sugar
100g Ground Pecan Nuts
50g Chopped Mixed Candied Peel
Zest of one Orange & one Lime
1.5 teaspoons Baking Powder
100mls Ground Nut Oil
100mls Sunflower Oil
1/2 Teaspoon of Cinnamon
For the Syrup:
Juice of one Orange & one Lemon
70g Caster Sugar
How to do it
- Lightly grease the cake tin and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, sugar, pecans, baking powder, and cinnamon & candied peel.
- In a separate bowl whisk the oil, eggs, orange & lemon zest, then fold the dry ingredients into the wet and spoon into the cake tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 170?C gas 3. Test by inserting a skewer in the centre and if it comes out clean itís ready.
- When ready let it cool for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Meanwhile make the citrus syrup by placing all the ingredients into a small saucepan bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- With a skewer prick the cake all over and spoon the syrup over so it absorbs into the moist cake & serve with hot custard.