675g cooking apples
finely grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemons
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 lightly beaten egg
675g ready-made shortcrust pastry
flour, for dusting
For more recipes visit: www.jamesmartinchef.co.uk
The Denby Barley Oval Pie Dish is perfect for this dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Quarter, core and peel the apples, then slice them thickly into a bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon zest and juice and the cinnamon. Stir in the sugar and mix well.
- Brush the rim of a deep pie dish with beaten egg. Tip the apple mixture into the dish and dot with the butter.
- Roll out pastry on a floured board and place on top of apple mixture, trimming about 1cm beyond the edge of the pie dish.
- Crimp the edges of the pastry with your finger and thumb, pressing on to edge of pie dish.
- Cut three small holes in the top of the pastry to let out the steam.
- Use the pastry trimmings to make decorations, such as leaves, sealing them in place with a little water.
- Brush the pastry with egg wash, then dredge with caster sugar and then bake for 35-40 minutes until the fruit is tender and the top is golden brown. Serve with custard.